Excellent Dog Advices for New Owners
Thinking About Getting A Dog?
We all believe that dog can be, and certainly is man’s best friend. This saying is quite true if you ask me. Once you learn how to care for and handle your dog, you can have a great relationship with him. The article contains some useful information you can use to make your dog your best friend.
Just like many people, dogs can be overweight. Having a few extra pounds on their frame can lead to a number of health issues, like cancer or diabetes. Many owners simply overfeed their pets. Talk to your veterinarian about how many calories your dog needs each day so you can adjust their meals accordingly.
- Your dog needs a stimulating environment if it is going to live a long and healthy life. Providing him or her with one is not really that hard. Simply make sure you take your dog for walks each day, and purchase a few toys that you and your pet can play with together.
- Never give your dog milk! It’s not necessary for his body and he doesn’t have the proper enzymes to digest it anyway. Feeding your dog cow’s milk can lead to chronic diarrhea and leave him with an upset stomach, among other health problems. Stick with plain old water for a healthy and hydrated dog.
- Giving your dog a bath is highly recommended to his health. Depending on his size and activity level, toss him in the tub weekly or monthly and always use a shampoo that is made for dogs and is pH balanced. Pets have different pH levels than humans and a good dog shampoo will leave your canine clean with a beautiful shiny coat.
- Try to avoid buying your dog low quality food. Less expensive brands of dog food often contain artificial coloring, additives, preservatives and so on that can be very bad for your dog. You can get a list of veterinarian-recommended foods from your vet or from animal advocacy groups or consumer awareness groups. You will see a difference in your dog’s activity level and general happiness when you feed him “good” food.
- Take care the jealously issue if you have more than one animal. Particularly if you bring a young puppy into the home of an older dog, problems can arise. Be considerate of the patience and energy levels of your senior dog and make sure his feelings aren’t hurt by giving the new guy all the attention. What is the best dog for a house pet?
- Leash walking is something that you should teach to your dog. Your dog should remain at your side and know the command “heel.” Walking like this can keep them safe and help you enjoy walks too. Even if you decide to give him additional slack on the leash from time to time, teaching your dog to heel remains an important task as a pet owner.
- Dogs need a great deal of attention on a daily basis. If you have a hard time making time for your dog you will soon notice that there are behavioral problems that were not there before. In the least, you should try to set aside an hour each day just to love your dog.
- Dogs, like humans, can develop health problems, and because of this they should be taken to see their vet at least once eat year. This can help to diagnosis any health issues early on, reducing both the extremity of the illness and the cost to fix it. Do whatever you can to follow this rule of thumb strictly.
- When you’re snacking, you might be tempted to let your dog snack too. This is true of some snacks, but not of others. Grapes and chocolate should never be given to canines. These types of food are very detrimental to your dog’s health.
- If your dog suffers from constipation or diarrhea, you can try feeding the pet canned pumpkin. This is not same as pumpkin pie filling. Pumpkin contains fiber which helps with constipation. In addition, it also absorbs water which helps with diarrhea. Don’t give the dog much, just a teaspoon or two with the dog’s regular meal.
- Dogs are fantastic pets. The more you know about them, the more fulfilling your relationship is going to be. The advice above has given you a wealth of knowledge, and if you take advantage of it, you and your pet can live in harmony. Using this advice will make your dog very happy around you.